Monday, August 28, 2006

LESSON 2; YORKSHIRE SAYINGS

A bit-a'snap (A snack)
Ah-cud eet a'scabby-donkey tween tu Bre't-Vans (I could eat a diseased donkey between two Bread Vans as a sandwich)
A puddin' in' t'oven (Pregnant)
A rate gud so-art (A good sort of person)
Ah-reet kid (Are you alright? A friendly greeting)
Ah-reet kid? (Is anything wrong?)
Allus at't last push up (Always at the last moment)
As daft as a brush (A stupid/silly person)
As sick as a Cleethorpes donkey (Feeling bad that something has not turned out well)
A'streak a-yellow reet darn 'is back (A coward)
Bang-it' (Hit it, but also used to say, "Bang it there"; meaning to put it somewhere, but not very carefully)
Box in't corner (Television)
Brass-necked (Very confident)
By ecky-thump (An exclamation of surprise)
Dun't make a' a-perth a-diff-rence (It doesn't change it even by one half-penny) Eee an't got-a-clue (He has no idea)
Eeeh-bah-gum (An exclamation of astonishment; equivalent to "That's amazing". Though rarely used anymore, it has become something of a stereo-typical Yorkshireism)
Eee wor 'ard on (He was fast asleep)
'Er bladder's too near 'er-eyes (Her bladder is too near her eyes = she cries too easily)
Eyes are bigger than your belly (The portion of food you chose is too much for you to eat)
Fair to middel-in (Situation is normal, but not good)
Get thee-sen off (Leave now, or you will be late)
Get thee-sen on (Go away)
Gi' over (Give up/stop it)
Gi' it some pasty (Hit it - work harder)
Goin' dahn't nick (Ill/bad and maybe not going to get better)
Got-it back-uds (Got it backwards - the wrong way round - misunderstood the point)
Go't face-on (In a bad mood; their face shows that they are in a bad mood. Also, to have one's make-up on)
Have five minutes (A short nap)
I don't give two monkeys (I don't care)
If tha' dances wi' devil, thal' ge't pricked wi'-is 'orns (If you dance with the devil you'll get pricked by his horns; you will suffer if you do evil things)
In a fix (Someone has a serious problem)
I'll go t'foot of our stairs! (Very surprised but not shocked)
I'll go t'bottom of our street! (Very surprised but not shocked)
I'll slap thee-daft (I will slap you until you are senseless)
I'll tell thee summat fer-nowt (I'll tell you something for nothing; it's good advice and it will cost nothing)
It-caps owt (It beats everything)
It's a rum-do (A bad - and possibly illegal - situation)
It's class, that is (It's of a high quality)
It's not worth a ligh't (It's not worth anything at all)
It's way out-a my league (It's too expensive - I can't afford it)
I've niver seen the like (I have never seen anything like it)
I've seen better-legs on a-table (A woman who has ugly/thin legs)
It'll do thee the world a'good (It will make you better)
I wouldn't a-reckoned it (I wouldn't have believed it)
It's nut jannock (It's not fair)
It's nowt but spit an' glue (It was not very well-made)
It's nowt like (It's not aynthing like the thing that you mean)
It's on t'other foot now (The situation has completely changed)
Laughed me socks off (Something was extremely funny)
Laff? Ah-nearly bot' a-round (It was so funny I almost bought a round of drinks)
Let's be havin' ya (C'mon, let's go)
Let' sleepin' dogs-lie (Don't talk about it)
Livin' tally/ower't brush (Not married but living together as man and wife)
Nay-er cast-a-clout, 'till May is art (Do not cast away any clothing before May is over)
Nobbut a mention (Not enough to be talked about; not worth mentioning)
Not worth tuppence (An object that has no value)
Off 'is ed (Off his head; crazy; drunk)
One a't lads (A good friend)
On't sly (On the sly; doing something secretively)
Pig in a poke (A confusing mess)
Popp't-in fer a pint (Went into a pub for a short time, but usually meaning more than one pint)
Put't wood in-t'oil (Put the wood in the hole; shut the door)
See-a-man abart-a-dog (See a man about a dog = I have to go to the toilet)
She's got a pod-on (She's angry)
'T in't in t'tin (It isn't in the tin)
Tek' rod out-yer-arse (Advice to someone who is being arrogant and overly stiff)
Tek-a-good likeness (Very photogenic)
Tha's nowt so-queer as folk (People can be strange)
Throw a benny (To throw a tantrum)
Took a likng to-it (I liked it, after a time)
Two-pennorth (Two pence; an opinion)
Up the golden rockers (The stairs - go to bed)
What' tha think'tha doin', tha freetn'd mi ter deeath (Why are you doing that, you really scared me!)
Wet me whistle (Have a drink; usually beer)
Where tha's muck the's money (Where there is dirt, there is money)
Where's thee/tha bin? (Where have you been?)
Worked me knackers off (Worked my testicles off - worked very hard)
Would thee/tha credi't it? (Would you believe it?)

1 comment:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Caz will not be permitted to read this or she'll know what i'm sayin when I'm pullin a fast'n